Conference Speakers List 2012
Senior Business Development Manager
Dr. Schenk GmbH Industriemesstechnik, Germany
Presentation — Poster Session
Wednesday — June 20, 2012 | Time: 06:00 pm
“Metrology systems for optical in-line process control in the production of OLED and OPV roll-to-roll production (R2R)”
The presentation demonstrates possibilities automatic optical inspection and measurement systems (AOI systems) provide for inline control and optimization of thin film coating processes (R2R metrology).
Modern AOI systems apply new methods for the evaluation of coating properties, while standard optical process control systems monitor coating properties by measuring only a few spots on the material. In the latter case this is done with a significant time delay after the production of the material. Modern AOI systems monitor the homogeneity of coating properties and return their absolute measurement values for the full material width in-line.
Such systems are mainly based on typical AOI system components, such as digital line cameras and LED line illumination, allowing
• evaluation of small local irregularities, such as pinholes, scratches, particles, .…, and
• monitoring of the homogeneity of layer properties (i.e. thickness, surface structure, transmittance/reflectivity) for the full width of the material.
Both kinds of measurement (local defects and material property measurement) use the same cameras, making the system more compact and less expensive.
The modern AOI systems can be complemented by specialized in-line measurement systems. They enable calibration of the output, which is gathered by the cameras and interpreted by the electronic evaluation systems. This finally provides the capability to report absolute values of coating properties over the full width of the plastic film immediately following the coating process. Furthermore, instant feedback of the measured values into the production process makes it possible to keep it within the defined process window.
As an example for this solution a traversing measurement head applied to a TCO coating process is presented. It measures in-line TCO layer properties, such as layer thickness, surface topology (i.e. haze) and layer resistivity.
Main advantage of modern AOI systems is more reliable data collection during the manufacturing process allowing faster correction and leading to a more efficient production.
• Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (1974) and Economics (1977),
Technical University Munich
• Product Manager Offline-Inspection Systems for Optical Disk - Dr. Schenk,
• Sales Manager Inspection Systems – Dr. Schenk (since 2007)
• Senior Manager Business Development Inspection Systems – Dr. Schenk (since 2009)
Experience in development and application of Optical Inspection and Metrology systems for
• web / film production
• coating lines (e.g. solar thin-film, low-e, OPV, OLED)
• glass production and glass processing systems